Author Appearance Guidelines
To schedule an Author Appearance at a school, please contact:
All other appearances, please contact:
Director, Macmillan Speakers Bureau
FOR RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS INQUIRIES
Agent Rebecca Sherman at Writers House
- My presentation is very interactive and fun for students and educators, professors, graduate students, and other adults. It involves a power point, singing, audience participation, show-and-tell, andfeedback from participants. I also read from sections from award-winning books. Presentations are tailored for each audience. I also deliver keynote addresses at universities and colleges, commencement speeches, publishing workshops, and literacy curriculum training for teachers and librarians.
- I require power point capability and a microphone.
- I need a screen to project images and a room that can get completely dark.
- I require a laptop that can accommodate a flash drive which contains my power point presentation.
- I request that all technology be working and properly set up BEFORE I arrive. Please make sure that everything is in working order in advance of my visit.
- Please have a tech expert on hand and ready to address any technical difficulties, and please ensure that the individual is proficient in technical skills.
- I request that the students and teachers be fully familiar with our books — that they have read them and have a context for our work. This makes the presentation more enjoyable for everyone.
- Suggestions for books to read with students and to have on-sale for autographing are:A POEM FOR PETER: The Story of Ezra Jack Keats and the Creation of The Snowy DayRHYTHM RIDE: A Road Trip Through the Motown Sound
THE RED PENCIL
SIT IN: HOW FOUR FRIENDS STOOD UP BY SITTING DOWN
HAND IN HAND: TEN BLACK MEN WHO CHANGED AMERICA
MARTIN & MAHALIA
BIRD IN A BOX
SOJOURNER TRUTH’S STEPS-STOMP STRIDE
LET IT SHINE: STORIES OF BLACK WOMEN FREEDOM FIGHTERS
- I can present to groups of any size, small or large, but prefer to do up to 2 presentations for the day, where the children are grouped by age/grade (for example — presentation #1 – grades 2,3,4; presentation#2 – grades, 5, 6). I will, however, do up to three presentations.
- I’m happy to autograph books, and prefer to sign books between or after presentations in a separate area such as the library. It often works best when books are pre-labeled with post-it notes with the names of each recipient, then later distributed to the students, rather than autographing for the students directly.
- I’m not able to autograph students’ items other than books — notebooks, pieces of paper, T-shirts, a child’s palm.
- We request that teachers or other participants NOT read homework, grade papers, check e-mail, or work on mobile devices during our presentation. If teachers have work or class prep to do, we ask that it be done in a room separate from where we are presenting.
- Presentations, keynotes, workshops are not to be recorded or videotaped without permission. This includes iphone and ipad recordings.
- I always bring my own lunch – so no need to order anything special.
- I need a short break between presentations.
- Individual honoraria for keynote addresses, conference presentations/participations, and school visits, varies. Please inquire.
- Honoraria is to be paid on the day of the presentation. If there is any W-9 paperwork to be filled out, approvals that need to happen, or invoices needed, please have this done in advance.
- All travel arrangements and fees involved in airfare, train transport, etc. must be paid for by conference or school organizers in advance of the author visit, rather than author and illustrator paying for their own ticketing and getting reimbursed.